Sunday, April 15, 2007

Journal Jar #8: Friendship

Am I a good friend to other people?
If so, how? If not, what can I do to improve this?

(I actually made this yesterday,
so that Jake would always remember that he's my best friend.
He says that he's saving it for "Special Occasions".)


I'd like to think that I'm a good friend. I think that friendship is easier to maintain now that I'm all grown up and married, and my teenaged anxieties and dramas are all in the past. It's easier to be a friend not only because I'm more mature, but also because I think people don't expect as much out of an adult friendship. A phone call or an e-mail monthly can keep a friendship alive.

I try to be conscious of my friends' feelings and situations. I try to call if I know they're having a bad day. I try to send holiday cards and thank-you letters. Living in Tucson, all of my friends right now are long-distance. This has its benefits and drawbacks. It's nice because, if I'm not in a friendly mood, my friends won't necesarily know this, and they can still think I'm totally awesome. However, sometimes it's hard not being close to anyone.

To improve, I can call more often, I can e-mail to stay up-to-date on events, and I can make a better effort to visit friends when I'm in town.

No comments: