Friday, July 29, 2011
Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Monday, July 25, 2011
We stayed for a week at one of our favorite locations: Coronado Island. Jake and I vacationed there by ourselves 3 years ago, and had decided that it would make a great place for a big family vacation. So we recruited Jake's whole family to come along with us this time and all stayed together in a big beach house.
Coronado has 2 beaches: A "kid beach" in the bay, where the waves are small and the water is slightly warmer, and the main beach that faces the ocean. We went to both.
An afternoon with nothing to do found our family of 4 at Balboa Park. While it's not an action-packed place, we all had a really great time. The scenery is beautiful and the kids loved looking at the flowers and fish, and playing in the fountain.
Saturday, July 16, 2011
Anyway, I had a great birthday. I got some gift cards for restaurants and shopping, a cuckoo clock (something I've been looking to get for about 2 years now), and even a gift card for my very own orange tree! (you'll have to wait until winter to see it purchased and planted)
Jake also got me some light reading material:
so I can be a pro using my new camera. I'm a lucky girl.
Friday, July 08, 2011
If you recall, last year I made a 30x30 list - a list of 30 goals I wanted to complete by my 30th birthday. I've been working on them all year, and I've been updating my list on the blog as I went along, for anyone interested in my progress --->
Well, I've come to the point where I'm as done as I'm going to be before my birthday, so I thought I would do a little review.
So here's the list:
(all CAPS = completed; red lower case letters = didn't accomplish)
1. GROW MY HAIR LONG
2. PLAN A BEACH VACATION (Heading out soon!)
3. PLAN A BIG PARTY (Jake's SURPRISE 30th Birthday Party)
4. READ 5 BOOKS
5. GET A BACK-TO-SCHOOL PLAN (Pretty much figured out that now is not a good time for me to go back to school, and I'll revisit the thought in another decade or something)
6. BUDGET FOR A CAMERA (This involves next year's tax returns and using up all of our Christmas budget for me AND for Jake. Don't feel bad for Jake, I did it a couple years ago when he wanted a big TV)
7. WEEKEND GETAWAY WITH JAKE (Scottsdale resort over Memorial Day)
8. READ THE BOOK OF MORMON
9. Make a good friend. Here's the first goal on my list that I didn't complete. BUT, I do have some good once-a-month girls night girls, and Jake made a good friend this year, which I think counts for something good.
10. MAKE & SELL SOMETHING (new art listed in my shop)
11. VISIT GRANDMA WEEKLY
12. Write a book. Non-finished goal #2. I worked on this a little in the spring, but nothing good came to me, so I put it on hold.
13. DECORATE MY MASTER BEDROOM (seen here)
14. Be stronger. #3. There's no excuse for this. I started an exercise program TWICE in the last year, but I was lazy and gave up both times.
15. Plant an orange tree. #4 - Our back yard was never ready for a new tree in the last year. It's getting closer. The pool is gone and we are brewing up great ideas for the space. We just need the funds for it.
16. PLANT A FLOWER GARDEN (Oh, I planted it alright. I worked really hard on it too. That doesn't mean anything grew.)
17. HAVE ONLY ONE MORTGAGE
18. ATTEND THE TEMPLE REGULARLY
19. GET LIFE INSURANCE
20. HAVE A WILL
21. PLAN A 3-MONTH SUPPLY MENU
22. TEACH THE DOG A NEW TRICK (Ah, no more dog jumping up on the bed at night. Next "trick": stop barking when the doorbell rings!)
23. HELP SOPHIE READ A BOOK (She's a smarty pants. This one was easy.)
24. EAT AN EXPENSIVE DESSERT (Crème Brûlée from Ruth's Chris. Mmmm)
25. BE PREGNANT (I'll be 6 months along on my birthday)
26. BUY A SCANNER (thanks, Jake)
28. SEW SOMETHING AWESOME (new pregnancy skirt)
29. Find Temple Art. And #5 of the non-finishers. But believe me, this one was not for the lack of trying. I have SCOURED the internet looking for something I like. I wanted art, not photography. I almost bought this a couple of times, but I think I can do better. This is nice too. I need a talented cousin or something to come up with a solution for me. Or try something myself.
30. FINISH THE FILING
And there you have it. My 30 by 30 list. Too bad I'm not turning 25 this year, cause then I would have completed it. Oh well, 25 out of 30 goals is not bad. And I did TRY to complete all 30, so I think I did pretty good.
Here's to my 30's!