Friday, October 10, 2008

Foodie Friday #5 - El Chavo

Welcome back to Foodie Friday.
(for an explanation of the ratings, see here)

El Chavo

1101 N. Mesa Dr.
MESA


Price: $

Taste: *
S&A: * * * *
Value: * * *


If you live in the greater Phoenix area, you may have noticed a bunch of new restaurants popping up with the word "Torta" on the front. The torta, Jake and I decided, is Mexico's answer to the hamburger. They are usually priced comparably to a 6" sub or a fancy burger from McDonalds. It's comprised of meat (carne asada, ham, chicken, etc) and your choice of veggies - lettuce, tomatoes, avacados, jalapeƱos, green chilis, etc.

Tortas are an awesome alternative to burgers & tacos for lunch. They can be very spicy if you get the chilis & jalapeƱos, or they can be nice & mild with just the tomatoes and avacados. I got all the veggies on my sandwich, and found it to be perfectly spiced. But for the Jakes of the world, my lunch also included a container of spicy red sauce.

El Chavo is a tiny strip mall food establishment in north Mesa. The 2 times I went to it, I found it to be basically empty. I've had better tortas, and I've had worse. This place is nice to go to because it's conveniently located to my house, and it's a nice and average place to eat.

However, the torta that I got this time was awful. The asada was fatty and chewy and the bread was soggy. I wasn't able to finish my sandwich. Lucky for them, I've been there before, so I know that they can produce good food, so I will go back.

Overall Rating: 2¼ Stars

No comments: