Monday, August 24, 2009

Our Hospital Stay

I was at the hospital from early Tuesday morning until Friday morning. My c-section was at 8:15 am on Tuesday, and everything went according to plan. My delivery experience was a million times better than my previous experience, and I'm really glad I had the doctor, hospital, lactation consultant, and nursing staff that I did.

Here's Sam only a few moments old. He inhaled some fluid on his way out, and had to spend the first few minutes of life clearing out his lungs. His first cries were a little gargley, but he quickly recovered.

He was then given a standard-issue beanie, wrapped up, walked over to his Mama for a kiss, and then sent off to the recovery room with his Papa and nurse to be weighed and cleaned up while my surgery was being completed.

When I was all put back together, I was taken back to recovery and reunited with Jake and Samuel. It was there that I really got to see my baby for the first time. After a while, we were taken to my room where we remained for the next few days.

That afternoon & the next day, we were visited by every one of Sam's grandparents, aunts, & uncles that lives near by. It was nice to have visitors and to have everyone meet the newest member of our family. It was also very nice for Cathy & my mom to bring Jake some food and me some peanut butter M&Ms when they came (side note: have you ever eaten an entire bag of M&Ms and lost 20 pounds in the same week? I have.).

Sam didn't have any problems passing his newborn tests while we were there, and was even a fashion-forward baby in the nursery, as I overheard the nurses talking about his oh-so-stylish green & yellow beanie.

(I'll have to post a better picture of his little PJs from the 1980's. They were adorable)

We were both released late Friday morning, and headed for home. I'm now focused on recovering and snuggling. Sam's focused on eating and sleeping. Jake has played the role of Super Dad/Husband and has spent the weekend cleaning, cooking, entertaining 2-year-olds, and making sure I can get up off the couch without too much pain.

We're all glad to be home.


Mimi said...

So glad it all went well. Call me this week if you need me! Toms would love a playdate!

diana said...

congratulations, he's darling.

super dad/husbands, are the best... way to go jake!

MeL said...

Oh hooray! I'm so happy for you and your precious little boy! And not to mention so glad that things went so well for you in the hospital. Thank goodness for good doctors, nurses, husbands and families that bring M&M's!

Emily said...

You lost 20 lbs in a week?! I think I'd lost 13 lbs. when I left the hospital with Elora, it may have been less.

shauntel said...

You look great in those pictures. Way better than I ever did leaving the hospital. Sam's such a cutie.

Kim said...

You absolutely do not look like you just had a baby. I am so glad this one was so much easier.